Web designers need to have the right kind of skill set and a great imaginative power to build something unique and beautiful. But skill alone does not serve the purpose. One would need to be familiar with certain tools as well to use their skills in the right way and bring out something wonderful very fast. This post shares the most important skills and tools required by a Web Designer to become proficient at what he or she designs.
1) Web Technology
2) Logic of Design
As a designer, it is important to have some logic and sense of design. This will help you to understand better, how designing can be approached and also learn the various design elements. This is called the Basic Design Principles and courses exist to teach you the fundamentals.
3) Search Engine Optimization
Search Engine Optimization or SEO are the ways in which content of a website can be structured so that it can be easily detected by search engines and can be ranked easily. This is helpful for designers to decide and have an idea about where and what type of content can be placed in a website so that it can achieve a higher rank. It would also help users to find the website very easily.
4) Selecting the right tools
Experience with various tools provides the skill to select the right kind of tools at the right situation. There are cases when requirements of the client or customer demand a different set of tools to be used. In such cases only the experience will help you to make the right judgements of the tool set to use and complete the job at hand.
1) Layout and Boilerplates: This should be well understood by the web designer and also using this keeps web design much more usable for the end user. These help in maintaining alignment issues in check. Tools are also available to be adapted as a pre-made out of the box experience. It also helps the designer to make the website more adaptive and fit to almost all the devices that are existing in the market. Examples of this are:
2) Design Implementation Tools: There are times when Designers cannot rely on Web developers to code and develop websites before the designer can exactly know how the design has turned out to be. Or there might be scenarios when the designers need to show prototypes of their work. So instead of portraying static images or layout, tools can be used to make the prototypes dynamic and interactive. All this can be done without the need to code. Examples of these kind of tools:
- Invision – To develop prototype quickly.
- Webydo – to design e-commerce websites without having to code
3) Pictures and colours: As a web designer, having the right knowledge of tools for storing and editing pictures as well as working with various colour palette is important. For editing pictures, most of you would have heard of or used Photoshop. How there are other alternatives which are better in many different cases. An example is Sketch, which allows you to create stunning designs and interfaces. A tool like Layervault helps designers to store pictures using a Version Control System (VCS). Finally, there is Adoble Kuler which provides the perfect colour pallet that a designer would want.
This article has ben featured in: http://garmahis.com